More than 250 people have been killed in the city of Sabha during 2015, the National Security Directorate reported on Sunday.
Spokesperson Hashim Ben Abdullah said most of the victims were killed in kidnapping and criminal acts.
Ben Abdullah added that police stations in the city had registered more than 600 motor vehicle thefts, 100 of which were retrieved.
"Work is underway to hunt down the criminals and retrieve the rest of the stolen vehicles," he added.
Security sources in the city said 90% of car thefts were committed though armed robbery. Police stations have also recorded 160 cases of kidnapping during last year.
Sebha is a city in southwestern Libya with a population of about 130,000.