At least 100 people have been fallen sick in the central city of Zliten after eating poisonous food at a local restaurant, Press Solidarity reported.

The victims, who suffered severe poisoning, were hospitalized in the city's health center while others in private clinics. No fatality was recorded.

Local officials told PS that all the victims ate meals at Al-Amedi BBQ Restaurant. Following police questioning, a patrol was sent to the restaurant, but to find that its owner had shut it down. The investigation file has been forwarded to the Attorney General's Office, the PS said.