Foreign mercenaries are joining Haftar attack on oil ports, UN-proposed Presidency Council confirms
The UN-proposed Presidency Council has condemned the attack of rogue General Khalifa Haftar's militias on the oil ports in east Libya, confirming that foreign mercenaries are taking part in the attack alongside Haftar's militias.
In a statement posted on the official page of the media office on Saturday evening, the PC said the attack in a blatant violation of the country's sovereignty. It urged all national forces to stand together and confront this attack.
Earlier in the day, Khalifa Haftar's militia groups launched a surprise attack on Brega, Zuwetina, Sidra and Ras Lanouf oil terminals. There are conflicting reports about the takeover of these ports. Haftar's militias claimed full control of Sidra and Ras Lanouf terminals, but the PFG denied it and confirmed clashes are still ongoing.
The PFG said Haftar's militias are backed by rebels from the Sudanese Justice and Equality Movement.
Sources said Prime Minister of UN-proposed government Fayaz Sirraj has cut short his visit to Italy and returned to Tripoli to follow up the clashes in the oil crescent region.