Sabha's historic castle hit with rockets as tribal tension continues
The southern side of Sabha's historic castle has been heavily damaged as a result of falling rockets after renewed clashes with heavy and medium weapons in its vicinity took place between Tabu and Awlad Suleiman tribes.
The commander of the 6th Infantry Brigade of Awlad Suleiman, Brigadier General Khalifa Abdul Hafiz, said “the headquarters of the brigade was subjected to an armed attack Saturday evening by Tabu armed groups,” pointing out that these groups are mobilizing around their camp and the historic castle in large numbers to launch a fresh attack on the brigade.
The Libyan Antiquities Authority had earlier condemned the destruction of Sabha's historical castle, following the damage caused to its building during the armed confrontations taking place in the city.
Meanwhile, a spokesperson for Sabha Medical Centre, Osama Al-Wafi, said one person was killed and another wounded in the ongoing fighting in the city.
In a press statement, Al-Wafi said that since the beginning of February, the Centre received 9 fatalities and 35 wounded varied from light to serious injuries, reassuring that conditions inside the Centre are stable and manageable and that all departments are operating smoothly.
The living conditions of the city have deteriorated as many local residents fled the fighting and sought shelter in schools.