UN disappointed by suspension of Libyan constitutional talks
The UN spokesman, Stephane Dujarric, said in a UN briefing on Tuesday that the UN can only be disappointed by the fact that the various Libyan factions failed to come to an agreement for the sake of people of their own country, and for the sake of the millions who registered to vote and wanted to be able to express their political opinions freely.
The Libyan House of Representatives (HoR) and High Council of State (HCS) ended their third and final round of talks in Cairo on Monday without agreeing on all differences.
Dujarric said that his understanding about the Cairo talks for a Libyan constitutional basis was that there may be another meeting within the next 10 days.
“I think it’s never too late to come to some sort of an agreement, and we hope that Libyan leaders will put, first and foremost, the interests of the Libyan people at the top of their agenda.” Dujarric added.
The UN Advisor Stephanie Williams has previously called on the HoR and HCS to pick a place for a meeting in ten days from June 20, while the Head of the HCS Khalid Al-Mishri told Williams in a letter last Monday that he was ready to meet with the Speaker of the HoR in Ghadames city.