The Guardian said the family of a British-based photographer, killed in 2011 by pro-Gaddafi forces during Libyan revolution, has launched a campaign to pressure Libya's Government of National Unity (GNU) to investigate his death.
"Anton Hammerl, 41, was shot after being targeted as part of a small group of journalists, including the US reporter James Foley who himself was subsequently kidnapped and murdered by Islamic State in Syria." The Guardian added, saying Hammerl was left for dead in the desert after Foley and fellow journalists Clare Morgana Gillis and Manu Brabo were captured and said that his body has never been recovered.
It added that the case was briefly investigated as a war crime by the International Criminal Court, but it was dropped after the death of Muammar Gaddafi and the fall of his regime.
Hammerl had been covering the conflict in Libya forces when the group he was with came under fire from Libyan pro-Gaddafi soldiers in a remote desert location near Brega on April 05, 2011.
"Since his death, there has been sporadic and vague information about the location of his body, with a suggestion in 2012 that a body matching his description had been found in a mass grave of 170 people and DNA samples had been taken but never delivered for processing." The Guardian added.