The United Nations Office for the Coordination of Humanitarian Affairs (OCHA) revealed, citing the Libyan Red Crescent, Saturday that Storm Daniel and the ensuing floods that ravaged northeastern Libya had left approximately 11,300 people dead and 10,100 missing in Derna alone, while around 170 people had been killed elsewhere in eastern Libya.
OCHA has added that the figures are expected to rise as search-and-rescue crews work tirelessly to find survivors, saying that according to the latest data from International Organization for Migration’s Displacement Tracking Matrix, more than 40,000 people have been displaced across northeastern Libya, though these figures are likely to be higher as access restrictions have limited data collection in the worst-affected areas, such as Derna, where at least 30,000 people have been displaced.
The UN envoy to Libya, Abdoulaye Bathily, said he left Derna Saturday with a heavy heart after witnessing the devastation caused by the floods on lives and properties.
“It is truly heart-wrenching. I saw firsthand the magnitude of the disaster. This crisis is beyond Libya’s capacity to manage, it goes beyond politics and borders.” Bathily said on X platform.
Bathily also indicated that the UN was actively collaborating with local authorities and aid agencies on the ground providing aid to those in need.
“Simultaneously, our team is also conducting further assessment of the situation to enhance coordination of the response efforts in Derna and other affected areas.” Bathily explained.