The spokesman for the Libyan Volcano of Rage Operation said Saturday that one person was killed in a landmine blast in Al-Ahyaa Al-Bariya area Friday, adding that the mine was planted by Russian Wagner Group mercenaries affiliated with Khalifa Haftar's forces.
The operation said the man, Yousef Al-Suwaye, was killed by the mine explosion as he was on a picnic with his family in their farm in the area. "He was killed in front of his wife and children", it added.
Meanwhile, the spokesman for the Sirte-Jufra Operations Room Abdelhadi Drah said five people were wounded, one with a serious injury, in a landmine explosion between Buerat Hasson and Checkpoint 50 area between Sirte and Misrata.
On March 18, a 14-year-old boy was killed and two others were injured in a landmine blast in their house in Ain Zara, where Wagner Group mercenaries loyal to Haftar planted many explosives when they left the area back in 2020.
Human Rights Watch said in a report on Friday that Russia-linked landmines threaten lives in Libya, adding that disturbing news about recent transfers of internationally banned antipersonnel landmines was buried in the latest report of the United Nations Panel of Experts on Libya.
Human Rights Watch indicated that the report showed that antipersonnel mines manufactured in Russia were likely brought into Libya in 2018-2019 despite the UN arms embargo.
It also recalled that it had reported last year the use of antipersonnel landmines and booby traps in southern suburbs of the Libyan capital, Tripoli, after Khalifa Haftar’s militias, supported by several foreign states and armed entities, withdrew from the city.