The Secretary General of the Libyan Red Crescent, Marie Al-Dressi, confirmed that he had survived an "assassination attempt" in Benghazi, adding on his Facebook page - addressing Khalifa Haftar in a letter of complaint - that he was subjected to a murder attempt in Benghazi because of his insistence on the independence and impartiality of the Red Crescent.
"Members of the Red Crescent Committee have been threatened, and I call on branch managers and volunteers to take caution and implement what is required of them to stay safe." Al-Dressi said, accusing a man named Maher Al-Zawi, a member of the Tariq bin Ziyad Brigade that is affiliated with Haftar, of threatening to kill him.
He also said he informed the Public Prosecutor in Tripoli that he had already been subjected to an assassination attempt in Benghazi, following this threat.
Meanwhile, Al-Dressi's uncle appeared in footage earlier on Friday saying that Marie had escaped a murder attack which was because he refused the interference of Saddam Khalifa Haftar in the affairs of the Libyan Red Crescent.
The Red Crescent spokesman also confirmed that he had received a phone call from a private number and an unknown person informed him that he would also be killed.
In June 2021, Haftar's forces detained the director of the Red Crescent in Ajdabiya, Mansour Ati, before releasing him in April 2022, without revealing the reason for the detention.